A mind that is stretched to a new idea never returns to its original dimension. [Oliver Wendell Holmes]

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Mendocino Botanical Gardens

Over the 4th of July we took a trip with some of our friends to an RV park near Ft. Bragg, on the coast.  We have made this trip before, and each time one of the highlights for me is meandering through the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens.

I will include here just a few of the photos that I took there recently.  It is an ideal climate for lush gardens of beautiful flowers.

 
I happened to catch this flower just at the right moment, when a ray of sunlight was illuminating its center.  It looks like it's glowing from the inside.

At first I thought it must be some exotic species, but it's common enough.  This is a variety of Hypericum (St. John's Wort).  It was growing along the path in a damp area called Fern Trail.





This is one of my favorites, a fuchsia variety.  They grow profusely over there
--in many colors--in that cool, damp climate.









And here's an "artsy" photo--my tripod lying beside
some dandelions along the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment